Save the Bilby Challenge 2017
Create... Inspire... Act...
The Greater Bilby is one of Australia’s iconic native animals but it faces many threats that challenge its survival in outback Australia.
In our 2017 competition, we asked Australian school students of all ages to produce a film / animation, piece of creative writing or poster to inspire greater public support for saving these threatened marsupials through action, education and raising awareness.
The best entry in each age category is receiving a real live bilby visit to their school.
Congratulations to all of you and many thanks to EVERYONE who participated. We'll be showing you more of the creative entries over the coming weeks so stay tuned...Bilbies will be visiting the winners at Kallangur State School and Collaroy Plateau Public School!
1. Kallangur State Primary School QLD - Riley, age 6 Prep class (pictured)
2. Southport State School QLD - Anika, age 6 Prep class - Poster
3. St Josephs Primary School Woodburn NSW - Eden, age 7 - Poster
1. Collaroy Plateau Public School NSW - Debating Society for their film "Bunnies or Bilbies?" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3IOygkMsSE
2. Southport State School QLD - Shelley (Creative writing) for "Save the Bilbies" - poem
3. Blaxland East Public School, Samuel - Video
4. St Augustine's Parish Primary school QLD - Yasmin - age 10 - Poster
Who won in 2016?
The winners and runners up are....
Winners will receive a visit from a real live bilby to their school. Runners up get a subscription to kids newspaper Crinkling News.
Thanks to everyone for their hard work and input.
And congratulations go to.......
Foundation to Year 3
Winner: Nethuja from Eagle Junction School (Qld) for creative writing 'How do I save the bilbies'
Runner up: Shiloh and Betsy from Village School (Victoria) for their video 'The Bilby Savers'
Year 4 to Year 6
Winner: Pele and Sonny from St Josephs (Qld) for their video 'Breaking News, Bilby News Report'
Runner up: Emi from Eagle Junction (Qld) for creative writing 'Kevin the Brave'
Year 7 to Year 12
Winner: Royce from Loganlea SHS (Qld) for creative writing 'Bilbies'
Runner up: Savanna from Loganlea SHS (Qld) for poster 'A Bilby's Life' (at right)
Find out all about what's been happening with the Fund throughout 2016. read more
Bilby droppings are being used by scientists who have pioneered a new technique to measure stress levels of the endangered marsupial. read more